[Cdt-l] Insects in NM

Rick Ostheimer rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 15 20:15:02 CST 2013

Re:  Would either the rattlesnakes or scorpions be sufficient reason to
use an enclosed tent versus a tarp? I see several journals in which
cowboy camping is common.

While I cowboy camped a lot on the PCT and fully expected to do so on
the CDT, I found I mostly erected by Six Moon Designs Wild Oasis (a
pyramid-shaped tarp with fringe of bug netting) mainly as a wind break.
(Once, in MT when I did cowboy camp, I had to jump out of the sleeping
bag at 3am upon feeling some raindrops and hurriedly put the tarp up
over my camp.)

Never saw a rattlesnake or scorpion, though one or the other may have
slithered or crawled over me as I slept.

Your post indicated you plan to leave April 1 or so.  Be aware there
will be some cold nights and possibly a lot of snow up in the San Pedro
Wilderness.

Handlebar
CDT 10, 11, 12 and done