[Cdt-l] Hitchhiking in Wyoming Is Legal

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 22:40:49 CST 2013

I was picked up and dropped off on the edge of town in Laramie Wy way back
in 1971, by a very friendly cop who didn't give us a ticket, but told us to
be discrete about hitching in Wy as it was illegal.  While he was a nice
guy, when I hitched into Dubois this past summer, I was waiting for his not
so nice cousin to cite me for simply not wanting to hike the road into
town.  It didn't happen, and the rides into and out of Cowboy Central were
with really wonderful folks who were very supportive of hikers in general.

We got to Dubois just in time for National Cowboy Day, and a great Wild
West parade and other fun.  I went to a lovely little log cabin Episcopal
church on Sunday morning and learned that they had been hosting cross
country cyclists for free for years there, right in the church.  They were
fascinated by what we were doing on the trail.  They also had one of the
best gear shops on trail, just across the street from the Post Office.
 They had a big map of the CDT on the wall with pins in it for all the
significant stops.  That was the only gear store on trail that had real UL
gear.  Clearly they were becoming aware of our needs.  Dubois was a kick.
 Seems some things do change over time.

Shroomer