[Cdt-l] CDT Integration

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Fri Jan 4 21:00:15 CST 2013

I agree with Jim as to the consequences of this. People protect what
they value. And if future generations don't value these long trails &
wild places, they won't protect them.

I think it's more than just US minorities... there are large swaths of
the world population that are under-represented outside. There are a
billion people in India, yet in 10 years, I've never sent CDT maps
there. However, If you go to any US national park, you'll see plenty of
Indians. I've sent only 1 CDT map CD to a Chinese national (going to
school in the US)... again, among a population of a billion. Same goes
for South America, Central America, the middle east (except Israel).
This is hardly scientific, but interesting all the same.

As for the causes... I think it's a lot of little things. If you try to
pin it down to one reason, you'll miss the bigger picture.

Part of it is poverty - just getting the disposable money & time. Part
of it is cultural - Pretty much what Jim said below. Part of it is
urbanization, and being disconnected from Nature.

Then there are things that cut across demographics, like a media culture
which prizes virtual reality, and stokes fears about actual reality.
Plus, the way many kids are raised - where every bit of free time is
scheduled. There's no time to just wander, outside. Where I grew up,
there simply was nowhere wild within a day's drive. Very few people back
there do anything that involves a tent... and many of them are minorities.

I'm not sure what to do about all this... but I think it requires a
number of approaches. Everything from school programs, "hoods in the
woods", various outreach initiatives run by both private & public
organizations. Having some famous athelete/actor take up the cause would
help greatly. If someone could create a compelling TV show centered
around the outdoors that didn't involve "eating bugs", that might help
(though, I realize difficult - hiking isn't exactly made for TV).  Just
getting more trails etched-out of areas near urban centers would help. A
lot of these things are happening on some scale, so I am hopeful... yet
when I look at the statistics, it doesn't look so great.

-Jonathan