[Cdt-l] Fwd: Brief trail report

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Sun Jan 6 11:25:10 CST 2013

Forgot to add cdt-l; sorry Stephen.

Bob "Trekker"  Brewer
Naturalized Citizen - Republic of Texas

____________________________________
 From: Trekker4 at aol.com
To: olshanskystephen at yahoo.com
Sent: 1/6/2013  11:23:58 A.M. Central Standard Time
Subj: Re: [Cdt-l] Brief trail  report

I've hiked by or on at least a dozen CDT slopes,  in the last 3 years, with
90% dead trees. I believe the tipping point is  coming within 10 years--the
point where there are too many dead trees across  the trail to hike it. The
budget simply won't be there to keep up that kind of  maintenance.
    I do pray I'm wrong; however, the CDT simply  doesn't have the
maintenance support structure of the AT & PCT. The  CDT's only hope was the CDTA,
which went down due to an overpaid,  poor leader, who didn't even raise enough
money to pay his  own, 6-figure salary (info from an in person conversation
last  summer with a former paid staffer ).
    I went around the section just S of Grand Lake  last summer, where the
FS says they're waiting for more trees to fall before  clearing it; granted
it's a Wilderness Area where hand tools have to be used,  but...
    2K down, 800 to go, hopefully this Jul-Aug; glad  I can finish the CDT
before it becomes impossible. Part of CO will be  okay, because the COT
(Gudy Gaskill & sucessors, who know how to make a  trail happen) has taken over
maintenance on the W side of the Collegiate's;  MT/ID will be okay, because
MWA has assumed oversight of that (Shannon Freix,  who does an excellent job
of oversight). I know of no other large NGO's  helping the CDT. That leaves
us with the government, who won't be able to  keep up; I'd bet my this
summer's hiking budget on that.
    Mega kudos to the people named below, for all  they do, but they can't
do all the basic maintenance. There was a post-CDTA  Demise rumor about
someone trying to step up, but I've heard nothing else. To  personally get the
CDT finished , I'm taking a basic course on climbing over  blowdowns. I'm
also wondering if there's some kind of laser gun to make tree  cutting safer
and faster.

IMHO
Bob  "Trekker" Brewer
Naturalized Citizen - Republic of Texas

In a message dated 1/5/2013 3:46:13 P.M. Central Standard Time,