[Cdt-l] Section Hike Wyoming 2013

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Wed Jan 9 14:59:59 CST 2013

The CDT through much of Wyoming is relatively flat, so you can make good
miles... Even starting "cold", you should be able to finish Wyoming in a
month.

That time of year is pretty much a gamble as to the weather. Could be
decent weather with no problems, could be a storm with 2ft of snow...
especially in the northern part of WY, which is at higher elevations.
Once you get out of the Wind River mountains (around South Pass City),
you should be OK SB. One option might be to plan a southbound hike, and
if the short-term forecast looks bad, flip to northbound... hopefully
things will clear up by the time you get to South Pass City, and you'll
get a couple weeks of decent-enough weather to finish?

One random note - resupply between ~South Pass City & ~Dubois is
tricky... that's a long section with no easy resupply along the way.
Some people just pack a lot of food and do it in one stretch. Others
hike out to Pinedale... Hard to say what's best, as it depends on you &
your style.

Good luck!

-Jonathan