[Cdt-l] Fw: America's national parks weigh solitude against cellular access

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Sat Jan 19 20:01:01 CST 2013

It just depends how & when someone is using one.

I think the biggest problem with cell phones infringing on the
experience of nature is people (mostly kids, but more and more adults)
doing inane things with them - playing "Angry Birds" instead of looking
at the birds. Texting "OMG I just saw a deer!" to friends back home
instead of appreciating the moment, or just walking around staring at a
screen instead of the amazing view. These things kind of negate the
whole point of being in a National Park... at least in my opinion. I
don't think that better cell coverage is going to matter much one way or
the other, as there is plenty you can do with a phone without any
internet/phone access.

Maybe there is some possible compromise - microcell coverage in parking
lots & lodges, and emergency-only towers to enhance safety?

I find it a bit funny that Brett posted this "from his iPhone"... where
exactly he was at the moment is his secret, I guess ;-)