[Cdt-l] Fw: America's national parks weigh solitude against cellular access

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 23:04:21 CST 2013

Much of what we all experience in the wild has changed dramatically since I
was a kid hiking the JMT in the 60s.  But most of that is in the gear I
carry, the lightness of my pack, tent and bag, not cooking any longer
thereby not having the fire that seemed obligatory at the time.  But the
one thing that hasn't changed is the experience of the beauty of the
mountains and the solitary nature of the trail itself, often being alone
for days at a time if I hiked the less popular trails.  Most of the CDT
seems to fit into that category.

I can choose to turn on my cel phone or not, but no one else's use of one
on the CDT this past year ever had any influence on my enjoyment of the
moment.  If it brings more wonderful young folks out on trail, I wouldn't
mind.  We are so darn lucky to have the long trails we do, the only country
in the world with this kind of richness of wilderness access, and ours a
somewhat elitist experience of that wilderness, that I don't mind a few
more microwaves in the woods if it brings more potential supporters outside
with us.

Shroomer