[Cdt-l] crampons vs. microspikes for NOBO hike?

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 23:01:51 CST 2013

The Katoola KTS aluminum cramps are just a bit heavier than the
microspikes, but they are marvelous if you need them.  They provide a solid
platform that works with flexible trail runners or boots and the front
spikes are bent down so you can't stab yourself when hiking with them on.
 Microspikes have been reported to role at times when on a steep traverse,
whereas the KTS can truly kick in steps, front, heal and side.

In 2010 on the PCT, a very late melt out year, we really needed them and
those of us who had them, loved them over the High Sierra.  They got the
award for my favorite piece of gear that hike because we used them so much,
and they did so well.

I carried them over the San Juans this summer on the CDT and they were just
dead weight except for one short section, as it was a low snow year.  I
could have done without them altogether.  It will all depend on the snow
pack come June in the Wemenuche Wilderness.  Don't miss this section if you
can help it, but be prepared for snow and ice.  It's some of the most
beautiful mtns in CO.

Have a wonderful hike.

Shroomer