[Cdt-l] New Trail in Northern NM

Matt Signore mpsignore at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 09:08:56 CST 2013

Hey all sorry for the delay in response was at Outdoor Retail show and had
a busy few days.  I SOBO'd the trail, and when I got to HWY 84 it was about
3am and I had just hiked 59 miles up to that point.  To say the least I was
not at the top of my mental capacity after hiking 25 hours.

I was armed with a 2010 or 2011 Ley map ( I don't want to wake up Yogi and
find out which she printed for me) and the new BCSS waypoints in my GPS.
 The DATED Ley map showed the now official route as a purple route, and I
assumed (yes I know the assume joke) that the official route was still the
same.   By following the GPS (what I use mostly at night to help navigate)
I followed the official route to Hwy 84.  The last 10 miles ( NORTH of 84)
I hiked to Hwy 84 truly sucked flagged with what seemed  few year old tape
in spots had CDT markers sparingly mixed in with nasty brambles and a 2'
high canopy.  I am guessing where I should have turned on to the Ley Route
to Ghost Ranch is where it got really unpleasant.

In a nutshell I followed the official route to Hwy 84 couldn't find Ghost
Ranch walked the Hwy in each direction for about 1 mile.  Then went across
the highway and followed the trail for about 2 miles still no Ghost Ranch
of the Hwy to what I believe is named Salazaar Tank.  The light bulb
finally went off...I fouled up bigtime!  So, I back track to the Hwy and
walked the 8 miles to the ranch.  Continued using the Ley Route South of
Ghost Ranch to Skull Bridge.  I can say this the trail up to Salazaar Tank
was in awesome shape!  If this is still confusing I can bust out the maps
and be more specific.  Moral of the story use current maps, and don't walk
32 hours straight!

--
Matt Signore
worldwidesadventures.com