[Cdt-l] Reading Trail guides Backwards!!! UG!

Sly hikertrash at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 18:02:24 CST 2013

Trew,

After a while you should develop a feel for the trail and a knack for
reading the guides.  You'll need to jump back and forth and do the
opposite, but eventually you'll get a feel for it. I don't have the
guides in front of me but for instance let's say it goes like this,
"turn right on FS 239. Ascending continue for three miles on the feint
rolling road. Pass a burnt out ruin on the left before turning left onto
county road 36and continue south for 1.8 miles."

You're hiking north on county road 36, you need to be aware of a road
coming up on the right. Once you pass a burnt out ruin on your right,
you'll need descend 3 miles on a feint rolling FS 239 for three miles
until you hit a junction on your left.

You can also use the elevations in the guide for navigation with an
altimeter.  There were  several times I was looking for a turn in the
trail at a certain elevation and it was dead on.  Another when we were
ascending and should have been descending. I got out the guide and saw
where we missed a turn a mile back. From there we used a compass and GPS
to go cross country to intersect the trail.

Of note, the Wolf guides certainly come in handy in the area around
Ghost ranch, which, if I'm not mistaken is theWolf route on the Ley
maps.  (credit where credit is due)

While you can certainly hike the trail without them, most of the time, I
went to the guides first (also using my altimeter and dead reckoning),
then the maps, and finally a GPS if I couldn't figure out where I was.

Sly