[Cdt-l] Largest Food & Water Carries

bcss at bresnan.net bcss at bresnan.net
Sat Jul 20 17:19:29 CDT 2013

By my perception, Benchmark to East Glacier is the longest haul on the
trail.  It's 136 miles via the official trail.  It took us 7 days with a
fairly heavy load of GPS gear, so you would likely be quite a bit faster.
Lots of water in there - all you have to carry is food.

I would worry about how sore my shoulders would get with a frameless pack
like the CDT.  The Circuit would be a lot more comfortable, but weighs more.
I am using a 52 Liter ZPacks Arc now and it is very comfortable with a total
load of 25 pounds or so, which is about how much I'd carry if I were to
doing the trail again without the GPS gear.  It weighs about the same as the
CDT, but has a frame.  My base weight is just under 13 pounds and you may be
a lot lighter than that.  (I carry a tent, air mattress, etc.)  Ben Mayberry
did the trail with a CDT and I think he was happy with it.  However, he was
doing 30 mile days and going 200+ miles between re-supplies which is
entirely out of my league.  When he zoomed past us he wasn't carrying much.
I cc'd him for you so maybe he'll chime in.

best wishes,

Jerry Brown

(970) 403-3527    Cell: (970) 749-0496

mailto:bcss at bresnan.net