[Cdt-l] CDTS route in New Mexico (or elsewhere)

Jackie McDonnell yogihikes at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 11:27:09 CDT 2013

Yep, it does.  And good for him.  But he calls the route others choose "The
JLT", and he implies that any route other than his "official" route is less
of an accomplishment.

Balls was used as an example of the effect an "official route" has on the
wild, individual nature of a Continental Divide Trail hike.  The fact that
one route has been deemed "official" has allowed Balls to judge other's
routes --- and that is soooooo contrary to the nature of the CDT.

Do I give a damn what route Balls hikes? Or what route my friends Jester,
Mags, Lint, Tamir, d-low, etc., hiked?  Nope, I don't.  I'm proud that they
hiked THEIR CDT.  I also don't judge their route choices.

Years ago there were two sets of guidebooks:  The Wolf Guides, and the
"Official CDT Guides".  The Official Guides were put out by the CDTA (I
think).  They were better as coffee table books, and were useless on the
trail --- yet they were "Official".  Hikers called them something like
"you'll officially DIE if you use these books".  Something like that.
Thank god we had Wolf's books and Ley's maps back then.

So I guess my point is that in my opinion, "official" detracts from the
uniqueness of the CDT, and the Triple Crown.  The 3 Triple Crown trails
SHOULD be different.  The CDT as a corridor, rather than one trail,
guarantees it will always be unique.

And HYOH is pretty much the same as young Spock's "Live Long And Prosper"
and the same as @#&$!?&#!!

Yogi
www.pcthandbook.com