[Cdt-l] More Fire news on the CT/CDT :(

Teresa Martinez tamartinez2003 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 22:31:33 CDT 2013

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to share that the FS has closed the CDT/CT from between
Cochetopa Creek to Elwood Pass.   The FS recognizes this is a large area,
but they felt based on extreme fire behavior and " we decided to make the
closure area large because we kept writing new closure orders every day as
the fire progressed. This was not a good use of our time during an
emergency".  We know this is unfortunate, and we also know many of you are
already well ware of this current status, but we just wanted to share with
you the official FS order. For South bounders, fingers crossed by time you
reach Southern Colorado, the fire is under control, but  it is very likely
it will not be out by then.

In additional fire news,  the Colorado Trail has one new fire (as of today,
Monday 6/23) that has re-closed Waterton Canyon and which makes access to
segment two from the east side difficult if not impossible, so for now, its
best to start at Segment three.  It is called the Strontia Springs Fire.
However,  in addition to this fire, there is  a second fire in Lost Creek
WIlderness that started last night during a massive thunder storm with
multiple lightening strikes.  They are using the CT to access the second
fire, so the CT East of Kenosha may be touch and go for the next few days.
 The new fire called the Bear Gulch Fire (Lost Creek WIlderness) is roughly
15-20 acres. As of 8 pm this evening and the fire near segment 2, Strontia
Springs fires are still small in size and are being heavily addressed.

Please be safe out there and if you have any questions, please don't
hesitate to contact CDTC at info at continentaldividetrail.org

Teresa Martinez,
CDTC

On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 3:20 PM, Paul Magnanti <pmags at yahoo.com> wrote:

> >From Teresa Martinez of the CDTC:
>
> We want to encourage ALL CDT users in and or around the CDT from Stony
> Pass to Cumbres Pass to consider bypassing or skipping this segment for the
> time being. Per a new Rio Grande closure order, the CDT is the boundary
> form Stony pass to Elwood Pass, as well as FS 380. Here is the link to the
> map and closure orders:
> http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/riogrande/notices/?cid=STELPRDB5143145
>
> (A good chunk of the CT goes through here as well)
>
> Another bad year for fires in the American West.
>

> ----------------------------
> Paul "Mags" Magnanti
> http://www.pmags.com
> http://www.twitter.com/pmagsco
> http://www.facebook.com/pmags

*

About Risk – Jeep Gaskin

“49, 3 kids, all of whom climb. in fact we're going sunday. I'm going to
die and so are you. so are my kids. in the perfect world I'll die before
they do, but there aren't any guarantees. so I prepare them for life the
best way I know how, doing the things that prepared me to massage my
mother’s feet and tell her not to be scared, that it was her time to go.
and that made it possible to kiss my dad one last time and tell him I loved
him, and walk away. if you have depth to your soul and insights into life's
lessons and you didn't get them from risk  then congratulations but I can't
relate. climbing can be deltoids or it can be zen; it can be runout or
short safe falls; it can be skies filled with lightning or crisp air ahead
of mare's tails. It is never standing in a grocery line.”
*