[Cdt-l] More Fire news on the CT/CDT :(

Teresa Martinez tamartinez2003 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 12:14:16 CDT 2013

Bad news folks- as of today, the entire Aldo Leopold Wilderness in NM is
now closed due to the extreme fire behavior of the Silver Fire. We'll have
a a map up soon of the closure area, but in the mean time, continue to be
safe out there!
>From the Gila National Forest:

*Aldo Leopold Wilderness, Adjacent Forest Lands, & Forest Road 150 Closed*

* *

*Silver City, NM; June 26, 2013-- *Due to continued fire activity on the
Silver Fire and concerns for public safety, as of June 23rd, the entire
Aldo Leopold Wilderness and  adjacent forest lands to the south, southeast,
and to the eastern boundary of the Forest including Forest Road 150 from
the Mimbres Valley at N.M. 35 north to Forest Road 4069G located at Main
Diamond Creek are closed to all public entry until further notice.

Rocky Canyon, Upper and Lower Black Canyon Campgrounds including all forest
trails east of Forest Road 150, and within the Aldo Leopold Wilderness are
part of this closure.

Forest Road 150 is open south from Beaverhead off N.M. 59 to Forest Road
4069G, the Main Diamond Creek road.

“I am  thankful for the public’s support during another year of wildfire on
the Gila National Forest; the public’s fire prevention awareness and
support is at an all-time high,” says Forest Supervisor Kelly
Russell.

The boundary description of the closure includes:

•        Starting at the intersection of Forest Road 150 and State Hwy 35
(T15S, R12W, sec. 23) and proceeding north along and including

Forest Road 150 to Forest Road 4069G (T11S, R12W, sec34),

•        then east to the Aldo Leopold Wilderness Boundary (T11S, R12W, sec
35),

•        then north and east along the Aldo Leopold Wilderness boundary to
the junction with Forest Trail 813 (T12S, R09W sec 6),

•        then east along Forest Trail 813 (Byers Run) and Forest Road 895
to the Forest boundary T12S, R08W sec 6),

•        then south and east along the Forest boundary to the Sierra/Grant
county line (T18S, R9W, sec 13).

•        From the Sierra/Grant County line along the Forest Boundary west
and north to the intersection with State Hwy 152 (T16S, R10W, sec13)

then north and west along the Forest boundary to its intersection with
State Hwy 35, then north and west along the Forest boundary

on the east side of State Hwy 35 to the intersection of State Hwy 35 and
Forest Road 150 (T15S, R12W, sec. 23).

A partial closure of the Aldo Leopold Wilderness had gone into effect on
June 12th . With the active fire behavior, a complete closure of the
wilderness, adjacent forest lands, and Forest Road 150 was required.

--

*

About Risk – Jeep Gaskin

“49, 3 kids, all of whom climb. in fact we're going sunday. I'm going to
die and so are you. so are my kids. in the perfect world I'll die before
they do, but there aren't any guarantees. so I prepare them for life the
best way I know how, doing the things that prepared me to massage my
mother’s feet and tell her not to be scared, that it was her time to go.
and that made it possible to kiss my dad one last time and tell him I loved
him, and walk away. if you have depth to your soul and insights into life's
lessons and you didn't get them from risk  then congratulations but I can't
relate. climbing can be deltoids or it can be zen; it can be runout or
short safe falls; it can be skies filled with lightning or crisp air ahead
of mare's tails. It is never standing in a grocery line.”
*