[Cdt-l] renaming stuff

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Sun Jun 30 21:20:20 CDT 2013

There's a big difference between renaming something vs. naming it for
the first time. We should be really careful about writing-over history,
even when it seems as trivial as what happened at Crazy Cook 100+ years
ago. Those were real people who lived & died there... and someone
thought what happened was dramatic or significant enough to warrant a
name & a small monument - in the hope that we today would give it some
regard. I would hope that whatever monuments we make today won't be
erased in favor of tomorrow's heroes. Instead, each of these things
ought to spark at least some reflection, some curiosity, some learning
of history & connection to those who preceded us.

I'm all for naming things in honor of people who've made contributions -
large and small. There are plenty of things out there without meaningful
names, there are plenty more things waiting to be built in someone's
honor. There's no reason to argue about any of it.

-Jonathan