[Cdt-l] gps

Jim Eagleton eagletonjim at aol.com
Sun Mar 10 18:19:01 CDT 2013

I just downloaded the Bearcreek NM waypoints and they are less than 850 kb or a 1000 states/card.  I would guess that detailed maps could take up alot of space.  The 450t has 100,000:1-detail maps. I think the preloaded maps would be fine in conjunction with Ley/Bearcreek paper maps.

Most people are navigating differently between the paper maps and gps.  The gps can be used to locate yourself on the paper map.
The gps is most valuable when the map is vague, say the desert or on snow cover.  So, you can use it to find the Karsonite stakes that have been knocked to the ground by the cattle, or at least keep you on track enough to find the next upright stake.

I think this is why most people are using the eTrex 20.  It is half the price, lighter, and the smaller screen extends battery life.

I'm trying to find an app to make my iPhone work as a gps.  I may end up with the eTrex.

Rambler