[Cdt-l] staying on the divide

Tony Mason tony at greyrock.org
Mon Mar 11 09:22:14 CDT 2013

As we all know the CDT at times strays far from the actual geographic
divide.  There are a couple of places on the section hike I am doing this
summer that look like it would be fun to deviate from the official trail
and stay on the divide itself:

North of Lost Ranger Peak in the Zirkel Wilderness. Stay east at the
junction with North Lake trail.  Go up Gold Creek to Red Dirt Pass. Cross
country over Mount Zirkel along the ridge then down to 7 Lakes. Then take
trail west back to the CDT. The crux looks like the north face of Mount
Zirkel. Has anyone done this route (or something similar) and can give me
some first hand knowledge?

The WInds. There appear to be lots of options for staying high. What ones
would folks recommend?

I appreciate the wisdom of those who've gone before.
Looking forward to this summer,
Tony

--
Robert Anthony Mason MD