[Cdt-l] staying on the divide

Jeff Braun jbraun at vizsolutions.com
Mon Mar 11 23:26:45 CDT 2013

Tony,

Instead of going over Zirkel, you could dip from Red Dirt Pass east
into Fryingpan Basin. (We did this route, but were going south). The
map shows another trail that heads north out of the basin, but we
never located it 30 years ago and I doubt it has ever been maintained.
Even the Red Dirt Pass Trail #1127 still sounds like it does not
really exist. See map and warning -

http://www.mountainjaymedia.com/pages/mountzirkelwilderness/fryingpan_basin_trail.htm

If we did it again, we would use the pass at 11200' - so drop east
from Red Dirt Pass, leave the "trail" near 11,000' and drop to
~10,600' and continue NWN to pass at 11,200'. Following the Divide
from there is relatively easy and beautiful.

Jeff