[Cdt-l] Cdt-l Digest, Vol 66, Issue 21

Ellie Thomas sidselliott at aol.com
Tue Mar 12 18:09:06 CDT 2013


There was a trail angel with a ranch on the road.  They offer water and will let you camp.  There was a sign on the gate.  Others on hear probably have the details, but I will go back and check my notes.  This was also a couple of years ago.

On Mar 12, 2013, at 7:04 PM, cdt-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Send Cdt-l mailing list submissions to
>    cdt-l at backcountry.net
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>    http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>    cdt-l-request at backcountry.net
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>    cdt-l-owner at backcountry.net
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Cdt-l digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>   1. GPS charging (MARY E DAVISON)
>   2. Prep, gps (Jim Eagleton)
>   3. Re: Prep, gps (Tjamrog08)
>   4. DOUBLE RAINBOW TARPTENT BEING AUCTIONED ON EBAY FOR ONE    MORE
>      DAY (Justin West)
>   5. Between Pie Town & El Malpais (Doug Carlson)
>   6. Re: DOUBLE RAINBOW TARPTENT BEING AUCTIONED ON EBAY FOR    ONE
>      MORE DAY (Tjamrog08)
>   7. Re: Between Pie Town & El Malpais (Doug Carlson)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 13:58:04 -0400
> From: MARY E DAVISON <pastormaryd at msn.com>
> Subject: [Cdt-l] GPS charging
> To: "Cdt-l at backcountry.net" <Cdt-l at backcountry.net>
> Message-ID: <SNT403-EAS502EA94ED3202F2BAFF32A8ADE20 at phx.gbl>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> I don't know if you can do that. I had 6 rechargeables, 4 in power pack of goal zero charging and one in GPS. Used USB cord to charge Steripen and USB cord to charge I phone and adapter to charge triple As for head lamp. I never tried the GPS by method you asked.
> 
> Medicare Pastor
> 
> Sent from my iPhone
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 14:38:39 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Jim Eagleton <eagletonjim at aol.com>
> Subject: [Cdt-l] Prep, gps
> To: cdt-l at backcountry.net
> Message-ID: <8CFED67F2D98649-BC8-8661 at webmail-m184.sysops.aol.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> 
> gps:  
> Thanks everyone who gave me gps advice.  In about a day, I have: 
>  1)  Tested, registered, installed my waterproof Lifeproof iPhone 5 case, 
> (I  bought directly from the manufacturer because many of the early cases had customer complaints, especially about sound quality and screen sensitivity.)  
>  2) bought an iPhone 5.  I also went to the end of an introduction workshop.  I need a lot more training.  
>  3)  downloaded the Gaia app for topo maps.  eMailed the Bearcreek Waypoints for NM (to the app) and saved the maps for this track.  Need more testing and training.  Hopefully, I can use the same app in Spain.  
>  4)  learned basic power management, like turning off everything except gps.  Have used my external battery to recharge.  The phone can be a power hog so more learning necessary.  I'm going to particularly focus on the paper map option.  (e.g. make Ley notes on BC).  
> 
> networking:  
> I signed up with the 2013 hiker list and got invited to Facebook page.  I hope lots of good water reports and trail status posts are made on Facebook.  
> 
> I guess as soon as I make reservations, I can go back to obsessing about equipment.  
> Rambler
> 
> 
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/cdt-l/attachments/20130312/22f88865/attachment-0001.html 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 14:44:07 -0400
> From: Tjamrog08 <tjamrog at me.com>
> Subject: Re: [Cdt-l] Prep, gps
> To: Jim Eagleton <eagletonjim at aol.com>
> Cc: cdt-l at backcountry.net
> Message-ID: <08331FE6-C25F-422E-B26B-31372E856677 at me.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> Rambler, 
> 
> I  recommend becoming very familiar with operating this gear at home. You are likely to have nothing left to devote to schooling yourself once you start walking.  All your consciousness will be channeled to your feet.  I have been at it for months now and am still barely capable
> 
>  Uncle Tom 
> 
> 
> On Mar 12, 2013, at 2:38 PM, Jim Eagleton wrote:
> 
>> gps: 
>> Thanks everyone who gave me gps advice.  In about a day, I have:
>>  1)  Tested, registered, installed my waterproof Lifeproof iPhone 5 case,
>> (I  bought directly from the manufacturer because many of the early cases had customer complaints, especially about sound quality and screen sensitivity.) 
>>  2) bought an iPhone 5.  I also went to the end of an introduction workshop.  I need a lot more training. 
>>  3)  downloaded the Gaia app for topo maps.  eMailed the Bearcreek Waypoints for NM (to the app) and saved the maps for this track.  Need more testing and training.  Hopefully, I can use the same app in Spain. 
>>  4)  learned basic power management, like turning off everything except gps.  Have used my external battery to recharge.  The phone can be a power hog so more learning necessary.  I'm going to particularly focus on the paper map option.  (e.g. make Ley notes on BC). 
>> 
>> networking: 
>> I signed up with the 2013 hiker list and got invited to Facebook page.  I hope lots of good water reports and trail status posts are made on Facebook. 
>> 
>> I guess as soon as I make reservations, I can go back to obsessing about equipment. 
>> Rambler
>> 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> Cdt-l mailing list
>> Cdt-l at backcountry.net
>> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l
> 
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/cdt-l/attachments/20130312/82691632/attachment-0001.html 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 14:54:13 -0700
> From: Justin West <cjustinwest at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Cdt-l] DOUBLE RAINBOW TARPTENT BEING AUCTIONED ON EBAY FOR
>    ONE    MORE DAY
> To: cdt-l at backcountry.net
> Message-ID:
>    <CAK4NgfeF3cJOqpjqZh5wDWQHrk2BOOX1K8m23ibP+xutChwXgQ at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> For those still seeking a shelter for the summer
> check it out:
> 
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/181096583167?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
> 
> Double rainbow is an EXCELLENT option for two people...or one person that
> likes a lot of elbow room.
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/cdt-l/attachments/20130312/c614e03a/attachment-0001.html 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 5
> Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 15:17:43 -0700
> From: "Doug Carlson" <doug-sue at centurylink.net>
> Subject: [Cdt-l] Between Pie Town & El Malpais
> To: <Cdt-l at backcountry.net>
> Message-ID: <004b01ce1f6f$6bc708c0$43551a40$@net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> The easiest option on this section would be to stay right no Pie Twon Rd/CR
> 41 all the way up to where Hugo and Carol have the water caches.
> 
> 
> 
> Both Ley and Wolf have routes that go into the Cebolla Wilderness.  Any
> suggestions or recommendations in this area?
> 
> I will not be passing this way again so I am looking for best wilderness
> experience.  And water.
> 
> 
> 
> -Trew
> 
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/cdt-l/attachments/20130312/b3c5a4fb/attachment-0001.html 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 18:21:45 -0400
> From: Tjamrog08 <tjamrog at me.com>
> Subject: Re: [Cdt-l] DOUBLE RAINBOW TARPTENT BEING AUCTIONED ON EBAY
>    FOR    ONE    MORE DAY
> To: Justin West <cjustinwest at gmail.com>
> Cc: cdt-l at backcountry.net
> Message-ID: <708F2B59-428C-4FA9-90EC-B9D4190643CE at me.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> yes, yes....I used the same  Double Rainbow on thru's of the AT, and 3 years later, the PCT. Loved it/  love two doors, I'm a big guy 6'2"  it was perfect.
> Uncle Tom 
> 
> On Mar 12, 2013, at 5:54 PM, Justin West wrote:
> 
>> For those still seeking a shelter for the summer
>> check it out: 
>> 
>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/181096583167?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
>> 
>> Double rainbow is an EXCELLENT option for two people...or one person that likes a lot of elbow room.
>> _______________________________________________
>> Cdt-l mailing list
>> Cdt-l at backcountry.net
>> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l
> 
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/cdt-l/attachments/20130312/15339502/attachment-0001.html 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 16:03:54 -0700
> From: "Doug Carlson" <doug-sue at centurylink.net>
> Subject: Re: [Cdt-l] Between Pie Town & El Malpais
> To: <cicelyb250 at aol.com>
> Cc: Cdt-l at backcountry.net
> Message-ID: <000f01ce1f75$dfc000a0$9f4001e0$@net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> I am working on the route a79 that will take me up through Bonnie Canyon.
> But it looks like if I swing more to the NE I can pick up Cebolla Canyon and
> come suth of a place called North Pasture.  
> 
> 
> 
> Anyone who has hiked the entire CDT- I would not expect you to remember most
> of these names and places.  
> 
> 
> 
> Hiking along Pie town Rd/CR41 north of Pie Town heading to El Malpais- do
> you just sleep along the road?  Isn't that mostly private property along
> that road?
> 
> 
> 
> -Trew
> 
> 
> 
> From: cicelyb250 at aol.com [mailto:cicelyb250 at aol.com] 
> Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 3:35 PM
> To: doug-sue at centurylink.net
> Subject: Re: [Cdt-l] Between Pie Town & El Malpais
> 
> 
> 
> Stayed on the road until got real bored.  Took one of Ley's purple routes.
> It worked, but very hard to follow.  There was some old "road" which really
> hadn't been a road for about 50 years and in several places it was so washed
> out that had no idea how to proceed.  Wonders though, the road was on my gps
> topo maps so I'd put my pointer on the "road" ahead of me and then travel to
> the point - usually stumbled back on the tread at some point.  As I recall
> some windmills in the area that were not on any maps.  They really change as
> farmers turn them on and off.  Again cows are your friends - where they are,
> there will be water somehow.  Some of the windmills needed to be "turned on"
> (solar with switches).  Just was careful to turn off anything I turned on.
> Few cars on the road; just dusty, hot and straight.  
> 
> As I recall, you did worry about water a lot on our trek.  A few ways to
> help - when come to a water source, sit down and eat a meal that takes a lot
> of water if possible.   Can switch your dinner and lunch menus.  In the heat
> of the day just taking a nap in the shade instead of plowing forth will help
> your consumption.  Get lots of hiking in very early and the early evening.
> 
> Have fun.
> 
> Cicely
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Doug Carlson <doug-sue at centurylink.net>
> To: Cdt-l <Cdt-l at backcountry.net>
> Sent: Tue, Mar 12, 2013 3:17 pm
> Subject: [Cdt-l] Between Pie Town & El Malpais
> 
> The easiest option on this section would be to stay right no Pie Twon Rd/CR
> 41 all the way up to where Hugo and Carol have the water caches.
> 
> 
> 
> Both Ley and Wolf have routes that go into the Cebolla Wilderness.  Any
> suggestions or recommendations in this area?
> 
> I will not be passing this way again so I am looking for best wilderness
> experience.  And water.
> 
> 
> 
> -Trew
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Cdt-l mailing list
> Cdt-l at backcountry.net
> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/cdt-l/attachments/20130312/c68ee88a/attachment.html 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Cdt-l mailing list
> Cdt-l at backcountry.net
> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l
> 
> 
> End of Cdt-l Digest, Vol 66, Issue 21
> *************************************



More information about the Cdt-l mailing list