[Cdt-l] Rain Pants?

Robert Mabry spharlm2 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 13:51:00 CDT 2013

For those who don't like hiking with or carrying rain pants, but need
something to wear while doing laundry, I stumbled upon an option. While
hiking the PCT SOBO in Northern CA, I mailed my rain pants ahead from
Ashland because it was getting too hot to wear them. When we got to Seiad
Valley, I realized I didn't have anything to wear while doing laundry! I
ended up improvising by wearing my rain jacket upside down and essentially
turning it into a skirt. A word of caution to male hikers, be very careful
zipping it up or down, in this case. Don't make the rookie mistake I made!

To answer the question of of carrying them on the CDT. Living and hiking in
Southern CO, I carry them because I like to have a multipurpose layer in
camp. You will often be at over 12,000 ft (think Forester Pass). Hiking in
early or late season, as most CDTers do, it can get pretty chilly and the
rain is cold, not refreshing.

Rob "Dad" Mabry PCT '05

Sent from my iPhone