[Cdt-l] Killer Bees

Mick Castillo mick.castillo at gmail.com
Fri May 10 13:24:38 CDT 2013

I am not a bee expert, but the following link to an Ohio State University
Fact Sheet on Africanized Honey Bees provides good information:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2124.html.

AHB are known to be very agressive and attack in swarms.  I believe that an
aerosol can would be a poor defense during an attack and would likely
expose the attacked to a worse fate than the stings.  The Material Data
Safety Sheet for *RAID MAX® FLYING INSECT KILLER 2 - REG. NO. 29831 P.C.P.
ACT* manufactured by S.C. Johnson, identifies the following Immediate
Concerns under *Hazard Information*:

*Warning *

*CAUSES EYE IRRITATION. *

*Harmful by inhalation. *

*Harmful if swallowed. *

*Avoid contact with skin, eyes and clothing. *

*Avoid breathing vapors, mist or gas. *

*Keep away from heat, sparks and flame. *

*In addition, the Potential Health Effects listed inlcude eye and skin
irritation and harmful effects if inhaled. *

Information suggests that AHB are less likely to coloize sites that
experience cold winters, such as higher elevations.  A web search will also
produce current distribution maps and lots of other information.  The best
defense may be awareness.