[Cdt-l] Black Range Route - Water - 5/10/13 to 5/17/13

Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Mon May 27 15:42:57 CDT 2013

Greetings from Grants, first internet access I've had in a while.
Following may prove useful for someone who reads the archives.  Milages
reference Bearcreek maps, see my data book for corresponding Ley map
points, if any.

164. 6   08-000     Skipped segment 7.  23 miles of circular flat walking
and you will have to go to Pino Altos to get water, leaving you all
of 6.5 miles from Silver City.  I preferred the easy way out,  walked Pinos
Altos Road out of SC for 6.5 and got water at the RV park cafe.

186.4    09-000     NM35 - got water at Lynnae and Will's house.

             09-025     Sapillo Creek flowing well, no cattle.

             09-056     Unexpected, thought it was the next one.  Only
green grass and a small pool near trail, short distance upstream flowing
and I got water off a small cascade at about 1L/minute.

             09-058     Not as good flow as Sapillo Creek.

214.1    10-147     Squeaky Spring only a wet spot at trail.  I see by one
of my many sheets of paper that it may be better 200' downhill, but I
didn't check that.

             10-160     Saw nothing.

             10-179     Nice small pool, lacking in animal evidence, great
for dipping with a small container.  Got water here.

             10-182     No flow at trail.  Didn't investigate any farther.

             10-236     Diamond Spring.  Passed as it was getting dark.
Looked like just a wet spot, might have been some standing water in a hoof
print.

             10-327     Nothing.

             10-330     Very very small pool.  No flowing water.

             10-345     Chloride Creek - no flow at trail, cold water pools
100-200 yards downstream in rocky area.  Got water here.

             11-018     (New)  Turkey Spring .5w - didn't check.

237.7    11-037     trick tank - sludge.

             11-097     (New)  Spring .5e of trail.  Didn't need water, but
checked it out.  Best Water in New Mexico.  You'll know you're at trail
exit point if there's a fence with 'Please!  Close the Gate' sign some
yards over to the east side.  Go through the gate, drop a couple hundred
feet,  and find a clean, clear, animal-free overflowing spring trough that
looks like all newer hardware.   There was a large tree branch arrow, along
with 'WATER' scratched in the dust on the trail to mark the exit point,
looked like more work than what a hiker would do.  If you had all the food
you needed, you could load up on water here and keep going past Winston.

249.1    12-000    NM59 TH.  Got water in Winston.

279.6    13-050    Don't XR, continue ahead to North Garcia Windmill.  As
soon as you see windmill blades, head for them.  Leave windmill via road
that intersects trail around 13-076 (I think, don't have maps now).  Got
water here.

296.6    13-219    Batton Pond.  Had plenty of enamel-green water.

             13-250    (approx., not in BC maps)  Green Tank.  Oddly, not
as green as the prior one.  Got small amount of water here.

310.4    14-034    According to Ley NM30b-3 there is a decent earth tank
here and is the 'best bet' on this map.  I didn't see it.

311.5    14-045    Mesa Redondo south of trail.  Earth tank is dry, spring
(in front of house) is most disgusting.  Good water via spigot on left (as
viewed from the trail) side of house.  Got water here.  Enjoy a visit with
RB, what a great guy.

334.5    15-000     Didn't hike segment 15, cut over to Ley route via
FR3070.