[Cdt-l] Cumbres to ghost ranch

Travis Naibert tnaibert at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 11:02:24 CDT 2013

Cumbres pass is open. the road through there probably will not have any
snow until november of most years and probably not significant snow until
december. The mountains south of the pass are fairly high ridges but mostly
below treeline and not very rugged. I am sure the aspens up there are all
turning gold now, as they are in the mountains above Santa Fe right now.
This would be an excellent time of year to hike the section south to ghost
ranch, just bring a warm sleeping bag, it has been in the low 30s at night
in town at 7000 ft numerous times already.

The section from Ghost ranch south to Cuba would also be spectacular this
time of year, and you get to hike through more varied terrain on that
segment, from the desert basin of the chama river and up high above 10k in
the San Pedro Parks wilderness. Let me know if you choose that segment, i
could help with logistics as I live close by in Los Alamos.

I would not suggest the south san juan section north of Cumbres this late
in the season, as it is very high and exposed to weather, but of course you
may get a great weather window and have a fantastic time also.

Suspect