[Cdt-l] Couple of questions

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sun Oct 6 00:33:45 CDT 2013

My wife met me in Frisco and we stayed in a great place in Breckenridge for
four days and had a blast.  Took a day trip to Rocky Mtn NP and did some
good eating at the wonderful restaurants.  She had flown into Denver and
rented a car.  We rented a small ski condo from an individual and it proved
to be a nice place to stay as we could cook some of our meals.

As for road walking, there are many hundreds of miles of road walking on
the CDT, but most of it is on dirt roads, not paved.  I hope you're problem
is only with paved roads, because the dirt roads are the CDT in many places
and for lots and lots of miles.  Some of the long paved road sections are
coming into Rawlins (part of this can be skirted on trail, but it was too
hot and dry for us to want to do it when we reached this section), going
around the terrible blow downs just before Grand Lake and just before
Silver City.  The paved sections of each of these is between 10 and 20
miles.  Shorter paved sections are into Anaconda (if you do the Anaconda
cut) Grants, Cuba, and Frisco (paved bike path).  There are others, but
these few come to mind.

If you include the dirt and paved sections I've heard many describe the CDT
as roughly 1,000 miles of trail, 1,000 miles of dirt roads and a 1,000
miles of cross country.  This is probably too simplistic, and maybe not
accurate at all, but with all the miles on roads of one kind or another, it
felt pretty accurate.

Shroomer