[Cdt-l] Deadfall south of Grand Laje

Teresa Martinez tamartinez2003 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 15:09:30 CDT 2013

Hi Tony-

Just so you know, CDTC has agreed to adopt the entire Trail Segment on the
Sulphur Ranger District and we have equally been working with Headwaters
Trail Alliance, based in Grand Lake, to sign and mark the entire section
this year because so many trail markers have disappeared over the past
year. (By the way, we ask everyone please don't steal CDT Trail markers
from posts, trees, etc, it really causes major headaches for those who
follow behind you.  CDTC sells them for nominal costs and we'd be happy to
help you have your own Trail momento with out stealing them from the
physical CDT). Anyhow, we hope to figure out some solution to the deadfall
issue, so that in 2014 it isn't an issue any more, and once we have a sound
and safe plan, we'll be announcing dates where volunteers can come help us
work to clear and open this trail section.  In fact, we plan to head out
there on Thursday to do some serious recon and figure out what the options
are, along with replacing some signs that have seemed to have disappeared.
 If you are interested in being notified of volunteer opportunities in
2014, send an email to info at continentaldividetrail.org and we'll add you to
the list!

Teresa Martinez,
Director, CDTC

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Tony Mason <tony at greyrock.org> wrote:

> Mary,
>
> We did venture through the deadfall in July. We knew it was going to be
> tough but took our time and made it through. An "embrace the brutality"
> moment. We were heading north so knowing hot showers and warm beds awaited
> us in Grand Lake made it easier. At the top of the ridge we found a game
> trail that took us west of the offical "trail" and I think helped us avoid
> some of the worst of the deadfall.
>
> I think it is time to petetion the Forest Service to clean this up. The
> sign posted near Lake Granby says they have not because of the danger of
> falling trees. At this point the few trees standing are the live ones so I
> don't buy this argument. This would be a great volunteer project for the
> CDT Coalition. It is near towns, used by lots and lots of people (no just
> CDT hikers) and is the only connecting trail into RMNP west of the divide.
>
> just my 2 cents,
> Tony
>

> On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 1:37 PM, MARY E DAVISON <pastormaryd at msn.com>wrote:
>
>> Tony, did you do that deadfall this year? I had a horrible time getting
>> through it this year. Maybe more trees fell down since you did it or maybe
>> it is just cause I am an old lady. It was very nearly impassable although,
>> obviously not entirely since I went in one side and came out the other. Not
>> fun though.
>>
>> Medicare Pastor
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>

> --
> Robert Anthony Mason MD
> Windsor Family Clinic PC
> 4630 Royal Vista 7
> Windsor, CO 80521
> 970-530-0575

*

About Risk – Jeep Gaskin

“49, 3 kids, all of whom climb. in fact we're going sunday. I'm going to
die and so are you. so are my kids. in the perfect world I'll die before
they do, but there aren't any guarantees. so I prepare them for life the
best way I know how, doing the things that prepared me to massage my
mother’s feet and tell her not to be scared, that it was her time to go.
and that made it possible to kiss my dad one last time and tell him I loved
him, and walk away. if you have depth to your soul and insights into life's
lessons and you didn't get them from risk  then congratulations but I can't
relate. climbing can be deltoids or it can be zen; it can be runout or
short safe falls; it can be skies filled with lightning or crisp air ahead
of mare's tails. It is never standing in a grocery line.”
*