[Cdt-l] Summer 2014 Plans: NCT

Doug Carlson doug-sue at centurylink.net
Mon Oct 14 01:43:19 CDT 2013

I am still interested in a spring hike somewhere in the southern section of
the PCT of CA

but I am now looking at a much less used trail in the UP of Michigan as my
main hiking endeavor for 2014.

The U.P. of Michigan section of the North Country trail is still wild and
seldom used.  From St Igance to Ironwood I would  guess the trail is about
565 miles long.  No trail hiker community on this trail- hikers who do this
section usually share the trail for the most part with no one.

A section follows the shoreline of Lk Superior and you are almost always
engulfed in forest.

My mid August most of the biting bugs are gone and blueberries and
thimbleberries are still out.

I think this what I want to do in 2014.  Should take about 45- 50 days- with
a few zero days along the way.  Should be done by mid-October.

-Trew