[Cdt-l] Suunto: thermometer recommendations for backpacking?

Mike Beaty mike_beaty at q.com
Mon Oct 28 08:51:43 CDT 2013

"You don't need a Weatherman to tell which way the wind blows" -
Subterranean Homesick Blues

For what it's worth, I previously used a Suunto multi-purpose wrist gadget
and would not recommend it for use as a thermometer.

I experienced several issues:  led light failure in first months (REI
cheerfully replaced the watch free of charge); large face and squarish
corners frequently catch straps when removing pack, straining and breaking
the watch band pins (I also recall some unkind WWII era barbs about men with
large watches); thermometer failure after three years, displaying only the
max. reading of 123F.

I was never satisfied with its pedometer results, running or hiking...even
Ley Miles are more consistent.  The compass was dysfunctional and easily
perturbed.  The altimeter was simply silly and cludgy to calibrate, etc.

My favorite function, and most informative after the time and date, was the
barometer graph...which frequently brought Ben Franklin to mind (WTF?).

I'm sorry, but for US $150+, this device should perform and last longer.

Watching my water bottle,
Terrapin
Boise