[Cdt-l] Suunto: thermometer recommendations for backpacking?

Bob bobandshell97 at verizon.net
Mon Oct 28 11:25:54 CDT 2013

"One man's meat is another man's poison"

Terrapin's " Suunto multi-purpose wrist gadget" seems to have let him down.
But my decade-old Suunto Vector has been a marvelous reliable companion over
many miles.  I've loved it.  His must be a later, more complicated version
than my more simple Vector, e.g., he mentions pedometer.  I have changed
batteries in mine many times over the years and the thermometer, altimeter,
barometer, compass and alarms have been excellent.  I did replace the wrist
band (easily done) a couple years ago.  I was just wondering the other day
when I might start having problems with it, because I will want to get
another Suunto when it finally fails me.  My only real complaint about the
Vector I have is that the backlight feature has never been QUITE as bright
as my aging eyes would like.

>"(I also recall some unkind WWII era barbs about men with large watches);"

This made me smilingly recall waiting for the ferry in Vancouver. I had
mistakenly left my credit card on the counter in a store and, seconds later,
the attractive young saleswoman rushed outside, caught me, and smiled, "You
left your card behind, Mr. Big Watch."

Dr Bob