[Cdt-l] PCT Help

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 01:18:39 CDT 2013

The southern section is gorgeous in spring when the bloom in on the
chaparral and cactus, but it is also wonderful in the autumn when the
deserts have cooled off a bit.  I hiked most of it in spring when I thru
hiked the PCT in 2010 but actually finished my hike with 350 miles in the
deserts in October and loved it then too.  There are lots of desert fruits
and nuts ripe at that time of year and with a little careful planning I
didn't have any long dry stretches either.

Yogi's PCT Handbook http://www.pcthandbook.com/index.php  is the best for
up to date info on the trail from start to finish and can be used with Half
Mile's maps, http://www.pctmap.net  which are free for download but we all
send a donation.  For the SoCal desert section, also download the Water
Report which is updated over the season for the latest on which water
sources are still running as things warm up in the deserts over the spring
and summer.  Since the untimely passing of As A Bat, it is currently being
updated by Half Mile and available on his site.  The Wilderness Press books
on the PCT are the best for description, history and geology, but are not
as good as Yogi's for all the logistics involved in a hike of the trail.

You might also consider subscribing to the PCTL along with the CDTL at this
point as you'll get all the updates and discussions for the sections you'll
be living near as they get posted.

Have a great hike,

Shroomer