[Cdt-l] 2014 Mapbook Status and Alternates

bcss at bresnan.net bcss at bresnan.net
Sat Sep 28 11:03:05 CDT 2013

A bit of news. I have been collecting second party GPS information on the
most commonly traveled alternates for a couple of years now. The plan is for
a new Mapbook in 2014 that will include maps of the most popular alternate
routes:

Here is a list of the alternates that will be available in Mapbook format
for the 2014 season:

New Mexico:
Antelope Wells / Deming
Gila River
Cebolla Wilderness (thanks to Spirit Walker for the suggestion)
Mt. Taylor Summit
Old Pietown route (probably will move the Omega north roadwalk to one that
goes to Pietown as well. Official route is going to eventually parallel the
road from Omega to Pietown, so pie will always be part of the experience)
Skull bridge / Ghost Ranch / Bear Camp

Colorado:
Creede Cutoff
New Argentine Spine route
Silverthorne

Wyoming:
Cirque of the Towers
Knapsack Col (Thanks to Yogi for the suggestion)
Temple Pass
Go-around to Fish Lake / Leeds Creek (a way to avoid a very poorly defined
bit of the official trail)

Montana/Idaho:
Mack's Inn
Anaconda Cutoff
Bob Marshall High alternate

The GPS data being used for these is primarily track files from Garmins and
is of considerably lower quality than that of the data obtained by the
mapping project of 2009-2011. I am checking it all with aerial topography
and making corrections - it should be end up being very good overall.
Probably 100' off in places, but the map lines on the maps are almost that
wide. GPS waypoints for the routes are also being generated, and the maps
will be just like the current Mapbook Maps with UTM grid to aid navigation.

I originally thought I would add the new maps to each state's existing
books, but once I began working on this I realized that there was entirely
too much data. I am thinking I will publish a single printed book of the
alternates, and a PDF version as well. The PDF version would be relatively
inexpensive, and you could just print the maps you need. I welcome feedback
on this.

I will begin working in earnest on this when the current SOBO hikers finish
up. (I am expecting some more data from a hiker out there, and collecting
some myself in NM.) Also headed to NM next week to collect some new official
trail.

There are some significant changes to the official route in CO and NM which
will be in the 2014 books. I anticipate having these all done by mid to late
November. At that time the current books will be re-published and available
on Lulu at:  <http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/bearcreek1035>
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/bearcreek1035 I will post a notice here and on
the other appropriate forums at that time.

For those of you that are new to all this, there is a short history of the
Mapbook Project here:
<http://www.bearcreeksurvey.com/Data/A%20short%20history%20of%20the%20CDNST%
20Mapbook%20project.pdf>
http://www.bearcreeksurvey.com/Data/...%20project.pdf