[Cdt-l] Gaia GPS app in place of dedicated GPS unit

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Wed Apr 2 21:18:51 CDT 2014

My thoughts exactly on GPS units. to add a few comments:

-        Many hikers carry a cell phone anyway, so why not have it all in
one unit?

-        The screens on phones tend to be a lot better than GPS units.

-        There are good solar-charging options now, which might be lighter
than an extra battery pack.

-        Most phones have many gigs worth of memory built-in, so storing
lots of mapping data isn't a problem.

One downside is weatherproofing. But, a plastic baggie can help with that
problem.

My ideal solution would be if someone finally released a color "e-ink"
screen in something about the size of a mini tablet or large phone (and it'd
need built-in GPS). The battery life on that could be excellent - similar to
a Kindle. Actually, the technology is there right now, but with really low
refresh rates & resolution. OK for looking at maps, but that's a pretty
small market.

-Jonathan