[Cdt-l] Gaia GPS app in place of dedicated GPS unit

Jim Eagleton eagletonjim at aol.com
Thu Apr 3 21:17:33 CDT 2014

Welcome to:
1)  2013.   I have been using Gaia in NM, CO, WY, Scotland, Spain, FL  for a year since it was recommended here.
2)  ca. 2020   Soon but good battery packs and BAD solar options are still lighter than good solar options.  Good solar options might be worth the extra weight.
3)  <<< 2008  I NEEDED a screen protector on my gps on the CDT.  On my iPhone I use the waterproof Lifeproof, sic, case.  It is expensive, so I use a baggie to protect the case.
4)  2014  I am happy to see that Jonathan is looking forward to technology helping hikers.  I have been worried that he saw technology as a threat to his cartography.  I hope we all appreciate that Jonathan's work is really information sharing, and his work, along with trail improvements, and gps tracks have taken the CDT, from a niche experience to a legitimate leg of the triple crown.
Rambler