[Cdt-l] Gaia GPS app in place of dedicated GPS unit

Ron Dobra ghsron at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 12:34:07 CDT 2014

Topo Maps app. on iPhone-
  I haven't seen this mentioned yet, and after having mucked through the
CDT with my Garmin Colorado and OOO's track back when, I decided to try the
phone/GPS  on my through hike on the ADT (once again following in Boston
and Cubby's esteemed footsteps). Anyway, for around $7.00 on the app store,
Topo Maps will allow you to download unlimited quadrants, and will put the
gpx set of waypoints on them (but not a track).
This has worked extremely well on the first half of the hike I did last
summer (Delaware to Kansas), and I anticipate will continue to for the
finish. I bought the waypoints a state at a time from the American
Discovery Trail Society, then after seeing where the route ran off the
first quadrant, was able to figure out the next map to download and etc.
through the rest of the state...so much easier than trying to get my Garmin
to play nice with my Mac--and, as has been mentioned, what an incredible
multi-use tool (also have the ADT guide as a PDF on the phone)...this set up
sure has worked for me...cheers
zen quake
greenville, maine