[Cdt-l] lost another water cache in Grants

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 23:09:01 CST 2014

Carol, I'm so sorry you had to go through this.  Wow, that is awful. But
thanks for all the years of helping hikers coming into and out of Grants.
Meeting you both and getting to know Grants a bit through your hospitality
was marvelous and made for such a lovely break after El Malpais.

I met a trail angel on the AT in the South this past summer, who had been
arrested and booked several years ago.  He had to be bailed out and was
eventually placed on probation.  His offense was giving away food while on
state property, which was the edge of the road.  Obviously a law designed
to discourage vagrants, it was being used to prosecute a trail angel for
helping "trail trash."  Although some could argue we're worse than vagrants
as we choose to look like bums.  But he was back cooking full breakfasts
this year after getting permission to set up his stove on a spur road next
to a cemetery just up the hill from where he had been arrested several
years back.  Some law enforcement officers simply go too far in their zeal,
and I'm sorry that zeal got you, and doubly sorry it was a hiker that
"ratted you out."  For all the good you do, you don't deserve it.

Merry Christmas to you both!

Shroomer