[Cdt-l] lost another water cache in Grants

Melanie Simmerman jennylind50 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 16 09:23:58 CST 2014

It seems a travesty that that the Mumms have been penalized for being good samaritans to hikers on the CDT.  I don't remember hearing such troubles on the PCT and the local hiking clubs do multiple caches (large ones, too) in the desert section (from the Mexican border heading north). Don't know who is in charge of those caches - many different groups/individuals do them) but might be worth looking into it. Perhaps Donna Saufley knows?
That said, if we had a strong CDT organization (my opinion of the new CDTC is still pending), they should be our liaisons to the feds/state/local govt agencies to negotiate stuff like this....if they want people to hike those trails and spend money in their towns/states/ along the way...they should be somewhat flexible or helpful in making it possible to do the trail without great water problems...etc.
If it's possible to fight this citation is there a lawyer out in CDT land that can help the Mumms? Or shall we all pitch in to pay the fine?  I realize that their are laws and regulations on public lands, but this seems unreasonable.  We should not let the Mumms take the hit alone here...
Melanie