[Cdt-l] Filtering Grungy Water

Barbara Nash barbnashone at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 21 08:46:42 CST 2014

One of the most genius ideas I have ever found for filtering grungy water (full of debris) came from Cubby & Boston.  It is described in Yogi's Handbook and on  C&B's trail journal gear section.

Basically, you buy filter bags used in the production of biodiesel, take them off the wire hanger, cut 6  inch circles (you can get about five per bag), fold them into a cone & use them to pre-filter your gunky water.  I got mine from Duda Diesel (http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=%2Bfilter+%2Bbag&i=filterbags), but there are other suppliers.

The reference at trailjournals is here: http://www.trailjournals.com/gear.cfm?trailname=9803

We managed to get 6 liters of water out of some mud holes near near the Royal John Mine in NM using these (it was a miracle), and used them repeatedly at stock tanks.  They, of course, weigh next to nothing and can be a lifesaver.  I stick one in each resupply box.  They can be rinsed (if clear water is available), but better to have a new one when they get gunky.

I don't know why more people haven't picked this idea up, but I rarely see them on the trails.  Check C&B's gear lists in all their journals for more ideas.

Cheers

Late Start