[Cdt-l] Winter Gear?

Scott Piddington sp2mtns at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 2 09:22:49 CST 2014

The need for spikes and ax will depend on the conditions of the year and your timing of course. In 2010, I entered the San Juans NOBO on June 4.  I was glad to have spikes and ax and used them several times.

In 2011, I entered the Wind River Range NOBO on July 13. I used the ax and spikes a few times. There was some real scary stuff.

The boots question is probably a personal preference thing and there is no perfect solution. For 25 years I hiked in heavy all leather custom boot by Peter Limmer & Sons in the rugged terrain of NH, 5.25 pounds a pair. They allowed me to step carelessly on the sharped rock and they would stick to almost anything. They would keep my feet dry for a long time but with extended exposure all boots give up. They took forever to dry, sometimes days.

On thru-hikes I have used light weight breathable Merrell Moab Ventilators, 2.5 pounds a pair. Yes, my feet feel the first drop that hits them and every bump in the trail. They do dry quickly, though. Other boots are lighter and dry even faster but I need at least this much structure in a boot and they fit me right. I have to be more careful about where I step and retire them after ~1000 miles. I have to use spikes much sooner than with the ridged soles of the Limmers and kicking steps it tougher. They don't get too wet on packed snow. It's the wet, slushy & melting snow that gets the feet cold & wet. I doubt anything will work wading through a field of 6" to 10" deep standing snow melt. For me, gaiters are a must all the time but especially in snow.

As you can see, there are no real answers here but hopefully some of the pros & cons have been illuminated. The particular snow conditions when you hit it will be key.

Happy Hiking!
Voyageur

We intended to bring an ice axe on our NOBO hike, but snow levels were very low so we didn't.  We detoured around the Knife Edge, because we knew we'd need one there, but otherwise we never felt the lack.  We were wearing leather boots so we could kick steps in the snow, and that was enough.   On a normal year, or if you are earlier than we were, an ice axe may be a necessity if you don't want to road walk around the high country.  We did use an ice axe on our SOBO hike, and were glad we had it.