[Cdt-l] Considering New Mexico Hybrid - Shuttle Service to CC?

Dan Bedore mr_dan_bedore at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 10 14:56:36 CST 2014

Why bother stashing a car at Emory Pass? A day or two later you could resupply in Mimbres or hitch into Silver City. The hike from Emory Pass to the official CDT route is nice.

If you're going to jump off the Jim Wolf route, consider leaving the car south of the complex of private property parcels that you would cross in the last 10 or 20 miles before entering the Gila NF. Though I had no troubles, others met angry property owners...

Usually hikers get one person to shuttle and help with water caches. If that person has previously helped CDT hikers, they already know where the cache boxes are. If not, you'll have to find them, and your ride will have to be patient while you do so. Be careful to explain that to your ride.

In the wake of Sam Hughes' death, there is no default person to turn to for shuttling to Crazy Cook. Therefore, no one knows who you will end up riding with. And therefore, no one knows what town they will hail from. You may end up finding your ride like hikers did in the old days, by calling various community organizations in the area and asking, or just showing up and asking around.

Dan Bedore
www.bedore.org