[Cdt-l] New Mexico CDT Signage-2

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Sat Jan 11 23:15:35 CST 2014

In '10 there was a lot of new in '10 BLM  signed trail, new signs but no
even faint trail; and, there was a lot of side to  side walking to get around
vegetation; I'd guess all that's still true, and  believe it'll take 10-25
years for there to be a visible trail. Hikers wandering  from sign to sign
won't beat down much of a trail. I was brand new to GPS in  '10, and about 3
mi W of one of the paved roads ran out of signs just after  a tank at a fence
corner, even through GPS said I was on the trail. I didn't  trust the GPS,
walked about a mi from the corner finding no signs and looking at  15 mi of
open desert, with no reasonably close mountains for reference, to the  next
road on S side of Lordsburg. When I lost sight of the fence corner, and
finding no signs, I turned around and walked back to the paved road and road
walked into Lordsburg, the rancher whose land I was on gave me a ride most of
 the way back to the pavement, and I spent one night in a culvert under the
road  since it was all private property with houses near I-10. I found out
later that  I wasn't the only hiker that year who couldn't find the signs in
far S  NM.
    I decided that probably the guys who put up  the signs could easily see
each other quite a ways apart when installing the  signs, but not being
hikers forgot that a man is much wider and taller than the  signs. The skinny
signs, vegetation growth, and knocked down signs  made for many, many times
when the next sign wasn't visible for several  minutes.
    Now, I'd easily trust the GPS; it's saved  me many, many off course
excursions on the CDT. I've felt every year since that  the CDT signage was
poor or non-existent in many places in every CDT  state. Some of you like that
challenge I know; I just want to walk, not play  guess where the trail is
located. I think I read that CDTC plans to fix  the sign problem. I'll be done
this summer, before they get around to it  though.
    And Ty, NM was in a severe drought in '13;  in the fall, scarce water
sources will be even worse than spring. Good  luck.

Bob  "Trekker" Brewer

In a message dated 1/11/2014 12:48:39 P.M. Central Standard Time,