[Cdt-l] Gila Wilderness Opened or Closed?

bcss at bresnan.net bcss at bresnan.net
Tue Jan 14 07:04:21 CST 2014

This from Tom Holz.  He was one of the last hikers to pass through last fall
headed north:

"Our group did not hike the Gila, we actually cut east into the national
forest from the north of Snow Lake, and turned south to drop down and ford
the middle fork at The Meadows, then picked up a Ley high water alternate
that dropped us about 1 mile to the east of the cliff dwellings (starting at
Ley NM33 #3). Our experience was a lot like these two hikers:

http://sobohobos.blogspot.com/2013/11/day-138-crossing-gila-river.html

One man from our group took a slightly different high water route from The
Meadows, and ended up hiking about 3 miles down the west fork into the cliff
dwellings, but word from locals, USFS, and other hikers was that middle fork
was basically impassible. I recall the phase "10 foot cuts"."

best wishes,

Jerry Brown

 <mailto:bcss at bresnan.net> mailto:bcss at bresnan.net

www.bearcreeksurvey.com