[Cdt-l] Garmin eTrex 30 and 2000 Waypoint Limit ?

Larry Swearingen larry.swearingen at frontier.com
Mon Jan 20 13:31:21 CST 2014

Thanks for that Erin.  I’ve seen it before but am still working trying to understand
exactly how to use this GPS on the trail.
BTW I really enjoyed your CDT Trail Journal.  Read the whole thing.

I have a Garmin eTrex 30 and it has a 2000 waypoint limit.  Which seems to be a problem.
Somewhere in the recent past I downloaded a .gpx file that installed a “Track’ on my
Garmin Basecamp program.The track is titled “NM CDNST 2014 working Beta”.
When I select the Track and open the References Tab it shows
“New Mwexico Crazy Cook Start/NM_CDNST_1_9”
When I open the “Properties” Tab it open a long List of, I guess, Points that look like
they correspond to “WayPoints” in the track.  They are listed under the “Index” Column
as numbered 1 – 2655.
Does that mean that there are 2655 Waypoints in the whole NM Section of the CDNST ?
If that’s the case then I can’t load all the Waypoints for the NM Chunk that we will be
doing this Spring.  I know.  I’ve heard about using POIs but haven’t figured that all out yet
but I will.
I still can’t figure out the difference between a Track and a Route, or how each is supposed
to be used.

I really only plan on using the GPS as a backup to the Bear Creek Maps and Compass.  I don’t think it
will have enough battery life to have it on all the time while hiking so I just plan on turning
it on when I need a little help finding the trail :>) or water caches/sources.

Larry
Hoodad