[Cdt-l] water in black range

Sean Nordeen sean.nordeen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 22:17:11 CST 2014

Though I'm not hiking until 2015, I've already been debating about the Gila
vs the designated route in the Black Range.  I've searched back into the
CDT-L archives several years here and have also found a few journals online
talking about the water situation along the Black Range or rather the often
lack of it spring.

If my plans take me that way, my current plan is to rent a car in Silver
City (Enterprise even rents SUVs and pickup trucks there if necessary)  and
place a few water caches along the Black Range route to ease any concerns I
may have at the time.  Then I would collapse the empties and carry them out
until I can trash them or dump them on someone.  I got the idea from
reading Balls & Sunshine's journal where a fellow injured hiker rented a
car there and helped cache water for them before they hiked it.

It doesn't seem like a big deal to overcome; at least sitting here safely
at my computer at home.  I just thought I'd put that out there and let
someone test the idea for me this year.  :p

-Miner