[Cdt-l] etrax 30 Question- Never Lost

Doug Carlson doug-sue at centurylink.net
Wed Jan 22 16:41:03 CST 2014

With a GPS there is never any reason to be lost.  I do not use the Ley maps
when out on the CDT for one reason.  No waypoint coordinates on them.  I use
Ley's maps to make my own route on my Delorme map program which I print out
in whatever scale I think is best for that section of trail.  Along the
route I place precise map coordinates at enough places so if I do wander
off, I can set my GPS for one of those coordinates and get back on trail.
Those exact coordinates along the route also help me pinpoint my exact
location at different times.

When I started in Columbus last year Keith mentioned that I was the first
one he had seen starting out that didn't have Ley's maps printed out.  He
was going to show me exactly where the water cache we were placing was on
Ley's maps which I didn't have.  I simply set the waypoint for that cache on
that route and 2 days later had no problem in locating the exact bush in
southern NM where the water jug was hidden.  In some ways I am very inept
with the GPS but where it matters, it works for me.

I have hiked over 50% of the CDT in Colorado.  In Colorado I see no reason
to use a GPS except for the altimeter, time, date, trip mileage....  Ok,
maybe there are a few reasons.  But Trail Illustrated maps cover the entire
state of Colorado very well and with the TI maps, compass, no need for a GPS
there.  Heading out of Yellowstone through Mack's Inn and that route, GPS is
very helpful.  I wouldn't try that section of the CDT without a GPS.

This is what I would like to see:  A GPS that is also loaded with pepper
spray for that section of trail from around Yellowstone area up to Canada.
It would be a perfect invention since most hikers would already have their
GPS units out and on the ready.  Of course, by the time on figured out how
to toggle into the right setting to activate the pepper the bear would
probably be picking his teeth with the hikers bones.

-Trew