[Cdt-l] Use of compass star on Ley maps

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Fri Jan 24 00:29:58 CST 2014

Hi everyone… just a little more info on the Compass Rose. The web page link is here:

http://www.phlumf.com/travels/cdt/cdtgps.shtml

You can download StarMan’s file, but on average, you’ll be using 2-3 of these maps a day… You’ll have hours and hours to enter a waypoint (the center of the compass rose) manually on your GPS if you really need to. Since the coordinates are printed right on the maps, you don’t really need them saved elsewhere.

The accuracy of this method will be better the closer you are to the coordinate. But, in most cases along the CDT, you won’t need much accuracy to figure out where you are.

As mentioned on the web page, while this method can help tell you “where  you are on the map”, it doesn’t tell you where to go next. To do that, you’ll need to use the map, maybe a compass, and most certainly your head :-)

Also, regarding navigation more generally… as was mentioned in another post – people have managed to navigate the CDT without GPS for years. A GPS can be helpful, and even a bit fun, but it’s not a requirement.

On many occasions, I’ve been a bit surprised at the lack of orienteering skills possessed by some of my fellow thru-hikers. I think that for long-distance hikers, orienteering ought to be as fundamental as reading for the general population: everyone ought to learn how to orient a map, use a compass (and I don’t mean just “the needle points north”, but have a thorough understanding of declination, and how to take/follow bearings, triangulate, etc), and really read a map (knowing what all the obscure markings mean…). There are lots of resources on the web, books, and local courses to help teach this stuff. That said, I know that this stuff doesn’t come easily to everyone… some people just have a really hard time with directional sense.

Beyond that, a general skill “trail sniffing” is really valuable out there – being able to notice signs of worn roots, cut branches/logs, old blazes, and other subtle signals that tell you where to go. To me, all this stuff is part of the fun of a hike… it’s like a puzzle to figure out, and can give you a sense of pride & accomplishment when you get it right. Anyone can follow a line on an LCD screen.

-Jonathan