[Cdt-l] quad maps unnecessary

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Mon Jan 27 23:23:21 CST 2014

Yes, USGS has basically replaced the old 1:24,000 "quads" or 7.5 minute maps
with something called "US Topo". The trouble is that most of the "US Topos"
aren't really ready for prime time - from a hiker's perspective. Most of the
default US Topo maps are missing all kinds of key details/layers that were
on the old quads. For example, look at these snippets from the old vs. new
versions around East Glacier Park.

Old quad (1995):

http://www.phlumf.com/temp/old-usgs.JPG

New US Topo:

http://www.phlumf.com/temp/new-us-topo.JPG

The old Quad had things like the railroad tracks, power lines,
buildings/structures, the "1-36 mile grids", pipelines, labeled
park/forest/wilderness boundaries, forest cover, private land claims, and
most importantly: Trails! Each of these things can be really useful -
sometimes critical - for hikers. I'd rather have a slightly older quad with
these things than a new US Topo without it. There are some individual US
Topo maps that have these layers added, but they're not very widespread.

This missing information is mostly available for download separately, as
separate layers. You need to go here:

http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/viewer/

Then you need special software to splice everything back together, and
either a lot of time, or a script wizard to make it all work. Only then, do
you have the problem mentioned below of splicing individual maps together so
the centering makes sense. If you happen to have ArcGIS ($1000/yr) and know
how to use it well, you can likely get this done. But that's not a practical
option for most.

In addition, the default coloration on the US Topos not good - try reading
the stream names on the new US Topos - the blue is too light. The elevation
contour lines are all the same thickness (too thick), making them a lot
harder to read/follow (old maps have thick 200ft lines, and thin 50ft
lines). All the elements are vector graphics,(which means they could fix
these things, btw), and you lose some of the fine details on the older
bitmaps (DRGs) - look at the contours along Two Medicine Creek.

This is all digital information, so all of these issues should be
addressable with time. provided someone is actually working on it. In
addition, since this is all digital you should be able to center such a map
wherever you want, and have it custom-generated. Again, something that you
could probably do with ArcGIS, provided you have the source data files.

As for the comments below about splicing the maps - been there, done that.
though, only with the older USGS Quads. Haven't tried it with the US Topos
due to the issues outlined above.

-Jonathan