[Cdt-l] GIS

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Tue Jan 28 15:59:27 CST 2014

Thanks for the info Dan (and secretly, I was hoping someone would reply just this way)... I knew there were other, more affordable options - and I think there are others aside from Qgis... (arcGIS is way overkill - 95% of what it does isn't needed for basic map creation like this). Every time I've looked into it, I just don't have time to delve deep enough. I'd be really curious to hear what you learn. I'm an engineer too, but only semi-geek, so I guess you can see why I'm hesitant to tackle this... it's enough just updating what I have already.

Anyway, I suppose we're getting a bit off the subject of the CDT specifically, for CDT-L discussions. I'd love to see what you come up with though!

btw, I hope my last message didn't come off as too critical of the USGS. I think their default US Topo maps are headed in the right direction... just seems that they stopped updating the old quads before the new digital replacements were really ready for the masses.

-Jonathan

Sent from my iPad