[Cdt-l] Rawlins

Danandgailsc danandgailsc at aol.com
Wed Jul 2 12:53:24 CDT 2014


We are now in Rawlins, WY, piecing together our CDT section hike, with a question about trail friendly contacts here.  We have a vehicle, and are thinking of doing a 53-mile stretch north to the road to Jeffrey City, on a 3-day backpacking trip.  or leave vehicle here in Rawlins, get a shuttle and hike south back to Rawlins.


Having a vehicle is nice in many ways, but it can complicate things.  Hiking through with a pack seems so simple in comparison.


In the last week we walked the road south of Rawlins, by dayhiking / key swapping.  Teton Reservoir has camping facilities and we used them for 2 consecutive nights.  Very windy, but we slept in the van.  On Sunday, June 29, we drove to and parked at Battle Pass, -Tues we hiked south over Bridger Peak to the road south of Rawlins.  After reaching the road (road 71 / Sage Creek Road), we had to get back to the vehicle at Battle Pass, so we road walked south 10+ miles on Sage Creek Road before getting a ride to highway 70.  At highway 70 I started walking the 12 miles Battle Pass, and got a ride after about 5 minutes of walking.  From Battle Pass we drove to Saratoga, WY and enjoyed the Mineral Hot Springs and camped at Saratoga Lake.  That was a pleasant town stop.  And this morning we drove from Saratoga back to Rawlins.



Bridger Peak, over 11,000' elevation, has lots of snow.  Much of that 24-mile stretch from Battle Pass to road 71 / Sage Creek Road  is over 10,000'.  Snow is still present at 10,000' and higher.  The "logging road" was covered by snow up to more than 12'. Deep.  We saw no footprints and no other hikers.  The only people we saw were two in the distance near the divide, apparently doing some trail or other backcountry work.


Weather has been great--highs in the 70's--except for getting caught in 10 minutes of a hailstorm while dayhiking, and some strong winds, which I know is par for Wyoming!


Dan and Gail
Odometer and Gutsy






-----Original Message-----
From: cdt-l-request <cdt-l-request at backcountry.net>
To: cdt-l <cdt-l at backcountry.net>
Sent: Wed, Jun 25, 2014 1:00 pm
Subject: Cdt-l Digest, Vol 81, Issue 12


Send Cdt-l mailing list submissions to
	cdt-l at backcountry.net

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	cdt-l-request at backcountry.net

You can reach the person managing the list at
	cdt-l-owner at backcountry.net

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Cdt-l digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. Sunset? (Daniel J Johnson)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 17:59:34 -0500
From: Daniel J Johnson <danandgailsc at aol.com>
Subject: [Cdt-l] Sunset?
To: "cdt-l at backcountry.net" <cdt-l at backcountry.net>
Message-ID: <945A9EB3-2D2E-443E-ACB7-C1277D6341E9 at aol.com>
Content-Type: text/plain;	charset=us-ascii

I have been following Sunset's nobo CDT hike, but his last post was June 6 just 
before heading into the snow in South San Juan wilderness. 

He is from my neck of the woods in SC. This is his second CDT hike, and he has 
completed the AT and PCT twice.

I'm just wondering whether anyone on the list has heard from him. 

Dan

. . .

On Jun 23, 2014, at 12:00 PM, cdt-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Send Cdt-l mailing list submissions to
>    cdt-l at backcountry.net
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>    http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>    cdt-l-request at backcountry.net
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>    cdt-l-owner at backcountry.net
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Cdt-l digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>   1.  Steamboat Springs access issues (Rick Ostheimer)
>   2. Re: Steamboat Springs access issues (Bob Sartini)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 10:21:56 -0400
> From: Rick Ostheimer <rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: [Cdt-l]  Steamboat Springs access issues
> To: danandgailsc at aol.com, cdt-l at backcountry.net
> Message-ID: <53A83804.8050702 at sbcglobal.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
> 
> That's a tough one.  There's not a lot of public transport in WY. Check 
> out this site for public transport options and a cool .PDF map showing 
> all intercity public transport in USA: 
> http://www.kfhgroup.com/aibra/maps.htm
> 
> The ideal exit/entrance point for a three week jaunt would be South Pass 
> City (it's about 264 north of Buffalo Pass, assuming that's where you'll 
> be accessing the trail from Steamboat).  Unfortunately the nearest bus 
> service would probably be Greyhound at Rock Springs, WY, an 88 mile 
> hitch on WY28 and US191, from whence you can get to Salt Lake City on 
> Greyhound and ride a different Greyhound south to return to Steamboat.
> 
> If you can add about 90 miles to you hike, then perhaps the outfitter in 
> Pinedale, WY (Great Outdoor Shop, 307-367-2440) could give you some 
> options for storing your car there and accessing public transport to to 
> start your hike nobo again from Buffalo Pass (or Rabbit Ears Pass 
> depending on where you left off the last time).   Then you could hitch 
> to Jackson WY on US191/US26 (77 miles) for IIRC Salt Lake Express or 
> Rock Springs US191 (102 mi) for Greyhound.
> 
> For both of these options you will spend a good deal of time in the 
> Great Divide Basin.  A disadvantage of starting from Steamboat (either 
> Buffalo Pass or Rabbit Ears) is that you'll be starting out at high 
> altitude so you'll need to acclimatize.   An alternative would be to 
> skip the Great Divide Basin and hike from Pinedale to West Yellowstone.  
> You get the Winds and Yellowstone in about 250 trail miles.
> 
> Handlebar
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 10:53:49 -0400
> From: Bob Sartini <bobsartini at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Cdt-l] Steamboat Springs access issues
> To: Rick Ostheimer <rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net>
> Cc: danandgailsc at aol.com, CDT Emaillist <cdt-l at backcountry.net>
> Message-ID:
>    <CAAYFAe=43Htx73LcMyv8i5kPdftLN6ssg+oyuD=78vm-35=cCA at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
> 
> I understand Black Hills Stage line goes to Rawlins & Denver. Check
> out their routes.
> 
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 10:21 AM, Rick Ostheimer
> <rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> That's a tough one.  There's not a lot of public transport in WY. Check
>> out this site for public transport options and a cool .PDF map showing
>> all intercity public transport in USA:
>> http://www.kfhgroup.com/aibra/maps.htm
>> 
>> The ideal exit/entrance point for a three week jaunt would be South Pass
>> City (it's about 264 north of Buffalo Pass, assuming that's where you'll
>> be accessing the trail from Steamboat).  Unfortunately the nearest bus
>> service would probably be Greyhound at Rock Springs, WY, an 88 mile
>> hitch on WY28 and US191, from whence you can get to Salt Lake City on
>> Greyhound and ride a different Greyhound south to return to Steamboat.
>> 
>> If you can add about 90 miles to you hike, then perhaps the outfitter in
>> Pinedale, WY (Great Outdoor Shop, 307-367-2440) could give you some
>> options for storing your car there and accessing public transport to to
>> start your hike nobo again from Buffalo Pass (or Rabbit Ears Pass
>> depending on where you left off the last time).   Then you could hitch
>> to Jackson WY on US191/US26 (77 miles) for IIRC Salt Lake Express or
>> Rock Springs US191 (102 mi) for Greyhound.
>> 
>> For both of these options you will spend a good deal of time in the
>> Great Divide Basin.  A disadvantage of starting from Steamboat (either
>> Buffalo Pass or Rabbit Ears) is that you'll be starting out at high
>> altitude so you'll need to acclimatize.   An alternative would be to
>> skip the Great Divide Basin and hike from Pinedale to West Yellowstone.
>> You get the Winds and Yellowstone in about 250 trail miles.
>> 
>> Handlebar
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> Cdt-l mailing list
>> Cdt-l at backcountry.net
>> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l
> 
> 
> 
> -- 
> Everything is in Walking Distance
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Cdt-l mailing list
> Cdt-l at backcountry.net
> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l
> 
> 
> End of Cdt-l Digest, Vol 81, Issue 11
> *************************************


------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Cdt-l mailing list
Cdt-l at backcountry.net
http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l


End of Cdt-l Digest, Vol 81, Issue 12
*************************************

 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/cdt-l/attachments/20140702/6466e618/attachment.html 


More information about the Cdt-l mailing list