[Cdt-l] How to get to WY-CO CDT trail head?

Dylan Carlson carlsods at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 16:21:54 CDT 2014

A couple of thoughts:
1) Hiking north from Battle Pass (Encampment) is pretty desolate. Your'e in
the desert and water is rare.  Not the prettiest stretch either.  Depending
on how much time you have, you might be better off "easing in" to the CDT
by starting in Steamboat.  You enter the WY desert more gradually this way.
 I found hitching from Steamboat to the trail was not difficult.

2) Until last year, hitchhiking was illegal in WY.  It is now totally ok,
but many drivers don't know that.  This, combined with a very small
population, means that hitching is difficult in WY. Allow extra time.

Dylan Carlson
CDT 2009
PNT 2006

Message: 1