[Cdt-l] Custom POIs

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Sat Mar 29 10:52:55 CDT 2014

But will they stay when one zooms back in, as one would have to  do?

Bob  "Trekker" Brewer

In a message dated 3/29/2014 10:13:48 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
bcss at bresnan.net writes:

Fireweed  - If you go to settings on your gps and change all the zoom
settings from auto  to 120 miles then all the POI's will behave like waypoints
and show on the  map.

Jerry Brown

Sent from my  iPad

> On Mar 28, 2014, at 7:16 PM, "Mary Kwart"  <mkwart at gci.net> wrote:
>
> I am hiking the New Mexico  section of the CDT this spring. I use a
Garmin etrex 30 and loaded the Bear  Creek CDT POIs for New Mexico using POI
loader into my GPS internal memory. I  bought a Garmin map card last year for
Arizona and New Mexico and didn't want  to have to buy more maps or go through
the hassle of downloading free maps to  the internal memory. So I was stuck
with using only the internal memory to  save CDT data.

> This is just an FYI--something I didn't know  about custom POIs: you
can't access them through the "All POIS" choice, but  have to go through "Where
to"--"Extras" to select them from the first menu  choices. On top of
that--all of the POIs will not show up (which made me  paranoid). This is because,
unlike Waypoints, the GPS will only let you scroll  through the custom POIs
that are closest to your present location. SO--I only  could scroll through
BC segment 19 POIs. I thought the rest of the POIs were  not there. Base
Camp showed them as being in my internal memory, though.   There is no
documentation for this in the etrex owner's manual. I called  Garmin support and
found out that you can only directly scroll through the  custom POIs closest to
your present location. SO--segment 19 was closest to my  location in
Oregon. The other POIs were in the GPS, just not displayed for me  to scroll
through.

> To see the rest of your custom POIs on  your GPS you have to select
"Where to", then hit the menu button and use the  "search near" function to
choose a waypoint, map point, or recent find to  allow your GPS to display custom
POIs that are not near your current location.  SO--my paranoia has resulted
in new knowledge for me.

> Oh  yeah--the BC POIs for New Mexico appear to be less than 2000. So the
waypoins  for NM should be able to be loaded without turning them into
POIs--useful for  those only doing NM now. I am too burned out on dealing with my
GPS to try  this, but may before I leave for Tucson (April 7). Waypoints
are a lot easier  to deal with than POIs--they display on your GPS map without
having to query  each one individually. I told the Garmin support guy that
there should be some  way a user of POI loader or Basecamp can know how many
points are in the file  before they download it to their GPS. POI Loader
tells you how many POIs are  downloaded only after you down load the file to
your GPS. Basecamp doesn't  tell you anything at all. If anyone knows
anything different please tell me.  When I talked to the Garmin support guy, he
admitted that they are ill  equipped to deal with the needs of long distance
hikers who use thousands of  waypoints. One Garmin support guy didn't even
know what custom PO
Is  were.

> I can feel people's eyes glazing over at this, but the  devil is in the
details, as usual. It will be a relief to actually get on the  trail.

> --Fireweed

Cdt-l  mailing  list
Cdt-l at backcountry.net