[Cdt-l] Snow

Charlie Thorpe charliethorpe at att.net
Thu May 15 20:28:56 CDT 2014

Hello All -

I was driving through northern NM yesterday and decided to take a slight detour up highway 17 through Cumbres pass to check out the snow.

Stopped in Chama for ice cream and ran into Patsy Sallezar at Patsy's Ice Cream Shop.  She has in the past put up hikers in an apartment above her ice cream shop and is very willing to do it again.  Didn't talk $, but her phone number is 575.756.4927 if you want to check with her.

She has a BUNCH of flavors of ice cream (couple dozen?)...I tried black walnut and it tasted just fine.

Patsy reported that a storm the day before had dumped another foot of snow at the pass, but much of it must have melted by the time I got up there.  The road was completely dry and there was just enough snow to cover the ground (6 in or so - grass and small bushes were sticking up thru the snow) as far as I could see in both directions on the trail.

The snow was obviously melting fast...everything was really soggy with big puddles of snowmelt all around.

Should be good hiking before long!

- Charlie